This is a large Marcgravia from Ecuador, not coriacae but somewhat similar. It is easy to grow and puts out moderate growth once acclimated. New leaves are yellow-green but loose the yellow quickly. Like all Marcgravias, it does best when given room to climb.
This is a shallow 1 gallon bowl housing various unidentified Bucephalandra. The substrate is a thin layer of turface, with some lava rock and wood as a growing surface for the plants. It gets medium light and has nearly no ventilation. I believe some of these are ‘brownie’ type Buces. An Aridarium species pictured below, which has grown considerably in the past few months. It enjoys the same conditions as the other plants, with wet feet and room to grow […]
This tank is about a year old now, and houses over 50 species of plants. It stands 36Lx18Wx26T and has zoomed cork tiles on three sides. The substrate is a mix of turface and red infield conditioner in no specific ratios. The primary purpose of this tank is to give shingling species room to grow vertically. Marcgravias and many others do ok on sphagnum, but their growth is so much faster and more robust when climbing a wood surface. Species […]
This tank has been set up about three years now, and is home to 12 R. biolat. It measures 24x18x26. The background is cork and the substrate is 100% red infield clay. It has been more difficult recently to find egg clutches due to all the plant growth but there are a few puddles where the biolat regularly put tadpoles. Some of the larger plants including Mikania gauco, a forked Cyclanth from Ecuador, and some Ecuadorian Pileas. There are a few […]
This large fish bowl is about 18″ wide at the center, with an 11″ opening at the top. When filled with water, it proved to be 11 gallons! The Bolbitis is my favorite, so I used those as the dominant plant. The wood had to be boiled so it sank. This air pump is super tiny! Originally I tried a cobalt light, but it did not work with the curved lid as the neck was not adjustable and would have […]
Returning from Richard’s Greenhouse with two flats and three grocery bags filled with plants requiring high humidity, I had to quickly scrounge to find space for them all. One of the ferns even got a little droopy during the 30-minute drive home. The terrarium they ended up going in was meant for glassfrogs (on the right). Here it is next to the Ranitomeya biolat terrarium. They both have cork backgrounds, which made it easy to mount the new plants. Despite its messyness, […]
For two years now I’ve been putting all my “stragglers” in this terrarium. Anything that isn’t doing well in my plant bins goes in here. The Bryophytes and orchids are just starting to come into their own, and this Pleurothallid is more or less always in bloom. There are also a trove of epiphytic ferns in here that I’m hopeful will create some nice colonies within the decade 🙂
Clay Types Over the past ten years I have experimented with a handful of clays in the terrarium, both as substrates and backgrounds. Below are the types I’ve used, with some details on the qualities and uses for each type. Bentonite Pelleted type -this clay really needs to be kneaded, or else certain parts will remain dry while others are oversaturated. Letting it sit in water does not suffice, because whatever clay isn’t touching water will not even get wet. […]