To my knowledge, there were only twelve plants of this that came into the United States from Panama. It is from Kuna Yala. This species came in as a group of seedlings and it seems as if only one was ever sold, and a handful of others were distributed among friends. I received two of these plants, and have now had them for about six years. They were more or less the same size at first. Per the recommendation of Charlot Teng I switched one of the seedlings to potting soil (they had both been potted in sphagnum). After a year or so in potting soil, the plant became more robust and significantly taller. Recently I transferred the larger seedling to clay substrate in a terrarium and after a few months, it looks as if it’s going to flower! The second seedling was also transferred to clay. You can see the difference in size between the two.
Update– the smaller of the two plants has now been grown in clay for over a year, and is nearly the same size as the original plant put in clay. The growth on the first one has plateaued and it stands about 5-6″ tall.
And the flower! It lasted less than 24 hours, but Dicranopygiums often flower multiple times over a period of months.
After the initial bloom, this plant did flower about half a dozen times over the course of about six months. Each time the blooms looked a bit bigger and a large fruiting body developed. Only this most recent time did I notice seeds had been distributed throughout the terrarium, although it’s possible the fruit had given off seed in the past that went unnoticed. They are very small and numbered in the hundreds, and were distributed more or less evenly throughout the terrarium. I collected as many as I could off the glass and split them into three equal groups to test out substrates. They are on clay, potting soil, and sphagnum. The adult plants notoriously hate sphagnum, but I have seen other Dicranopygium seedlings germinating on this medium so I thought it was worth a shot. If they do make it, they will be transitioned to another growing medium when they are a bit bigger.
Thanks to Connor McGillion for his help on collecting seeds and the reproductive cycles. There’s not much information on this genus online, although Connor did share this resource as well, Exotic Esoterica which has some excellent documentation of some terrarium suitable species.
Here is the fruiting body, which is responsible for the hundreds of seeds.
And the seed!
About two months later, the seedlings,
Update II- this Dicranopygium has made seed again. Hundreds, all over the 2′ cube it’s in. Letting them germinate on the glass last time didn’t work very well, as algae began to grow with the frequent mistings and no cleaning of the glass. I think this time I will transplant individually into peat and see how that goes.